[Florida Railroad Logo & 1884 Cedar Key Image]

Home Up Company Store Site Menu FAQ - FRR Corp. Q & A Fla RR Links Downloads Terms of Use

 

Content copyrighted by the Florida Railroad Company – All Rights Reserved

Florida Logging Railroads

Alabama & Florida Lumber Co. - Noma (Holmes)

In 1907 had 15 miles of logging road 4' 8 1/2" gauge, 2 locomotives' 60,000 feet mill capacity. Railroad 15 miles in 1912, increased to 28 miles in 1917. Railroad 28 miles in 1920 with mill capacity increased to 75,000 ft. In 1910 road mileage had increased to 16.

 

Alachua Cypress Co. - Fairbanks (Alachua)

Listed in 1907 with no details other than had logging road.

 

Alderman & Thompson - Tarpon Springs (Pinellas)

Listed in 1907 with 15 miles of logging road and 1 locomotive.

 

Alger Sullivan Lumber Co. - Century (Escambia)

Operated Escambia Railway. The company was incorporated in 1900 and the mill at Century completed in 1901. In 1907 had 50 miles of logging road, 4’ 8 1/2” gauge; with 9 locomotives and 125,000 feet capacity, and the same for 1910. In 1912 had 60 miles of railroad, with 135,00 foot mill capacity. In 1917 had 100 miles as in 1920 with mill capacity increased to 125,000 feet; the same shown for 1924 and 1928.

 

Alison Manufacturing Co. - Inglis (Levy)

In 1920 shows a logging road with a mill of 50,000 feet capacity, with the same in 1924.

 

American Tie & Timber Company - Jacksonville (Duval)

Took over the Florida Tie & Timber Co., operating the sawmill and logging railroad.

 

Ansley Lumber & Tie Co. - Kissimmee (Osceola)

Shown in 1912 with logging road 4 miles long, with 20,000 foot mill capacity.

 

Arcadia‑Blackwater River Railroad

Line constructed in 1835 from Arcadia at the mouth of Pond Creek to Blackwater River, near Bagdad, 3 miles.

 

Arcadia Lumber Co. - Arcadia (DeSoto)

Had a logging road in 1920 with mill capacity of 12,000 feet. Had a 12 mile railroad in 1924. Logging road in 1928.

 

Aripeka Sawmills - Fivay (Pasco)

Operated Brooksville & Hudson Railroad. In 1907 had 68 miles of logging road of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge with 5 locomotives. In 1910 operated only 60 miles of logging railroad. The company actually took over operation of the Brooksville & Hudson Railroad in 1911. The Tooke Lake branch of the railroad was leased to the Tampa Northern Railroad, later the Seaboard Air Line Railway. In 1907 also operated a mill at Rural in Pasco County with 15 miles of logging road and 1 locomotive.

 

Arnold, J. Ray, Lumber Co. - Groveland (Lake)

In 1920 operated a logging road with mill of 150,000 feet capacity. Still had

logging road in 1924 and 1928. Took over the Olustee mill of Goethe Lumber Co. 

[Was Edge – Dowling Lumber Co. D.H.]

 

Atlantic Lumber Co.

Claimed to have a logging railroad but no information.

[Took over Ambler? Lumber Co. Also on St Johns River in Lake County. D.H.]        I

 

Aucilla Manufacturing Co. - Aucilla (Jefferson)

Had 6 mile logging road in 1917.

 

Aycock Brothers Lumber Co. - Aycock (Jackson).

Incorporated April 8, 1907. In 1907 had 19 miles of logging road, 4’ 8 1/2” gauge with 10 miles additional contemplated, 2 locomotives and a mill of 55,000 feet capacity. In 1912 logging road was 18 miles long and in 1917 had increased to 30 miles. In 1910 road was 20 miles long with 5 miles more under construction, with 3 locomotives. Operated as the Long Leaf Line..

 

Babois Lumber Co. - Bonifay (Holmes)

In 1917 had 7 miles of logging road and 40,000 feet capacity mill. In 1920 still had 7 miles of logging road.

 

Bagdad Land & Lumber Co. - Bagdad (Santa Rosa)

Operated the Bagdad Lumber Company Railroad between Bagdad and Munson, 23 miles. The company was chartered November 30, 1905. In 1915 the railroad was operated as the Florida & Alabama Railroad and was extended from Munson to Whitney, Ala., for a total distance of 44 miles from Bagdad. In 1917 had a logging railroad and a mill of 200,000 feet capacity. Logging road shows in 1920, 1924 and 1928 with mill capacity increased to 300,000 feet.

 

Bailey, F. L. - Greenville (Madison)

In 1928 had logging road and mill of 50,000 feet capacity.

 

Baird, E. & Bro. - Hague (Alachua)

In 1889 had a 3 mile logging road of 4'8" gauge.

 

Barefoot Lumber Co. - Bartow (Polk)

Had a logging road in 1907 and 1910. No further information.

 

Barington, G. W. - Spray (Madison)

In 1920 had logging road with mill of 30,000 feet capacity.

 

Barrs Tramway or Tramroad

In the early 1900's this company operated a saw mill in the area of western Alachua and eastern Gilchrist counties with a logging railroad of 21 miles.

[Also used by many of the area phosphate mines. D.H.]

 

Bartow Lumber Company - Bartow (Polk)

Operated a logging railroad in the Bartow area in the early 1900's.

 

Battle, E. L. & L. M. - Pasco (Pasco)

Also operated as Battle Lumber Co. with a lumber railroad of 5 miles of 3'6" gauge, 42”, 2 locomotives and a mill of 20,000 feet capacity. In 1912 had 6 mile logging road.

 

Battle Lumber Co. - Sorrento (Lake)

In 1917 had 8 mile logging road.

 

Bay City Sawmill Co. - Apalachicola (Franklin)

In 1910 and 1912 had a 10 mile logging railroad and mill of 60,00 feet capacity.

 

Beach, Rogers & Sons - DeFuniak Springs (Walton)

Operated DeFuniak Springs & Northern Railroad. Had 12 miles of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge line in 1910 with 22 miles under construction, with 1 locomotive and mill of 12,000 foot capacity. Had 12 mile logging road in 1912 with mill of 15,000 feet capacity. In 1917, 1920, 1924 and 1928 logging road shows only 4 miles in length with mill of 12,000 feet capacity.

 

Bernard, W. A. - Lake Wales (Polk)

In 1924 and 1928 had a logging road with mill of 20,000 feet capacity.

 

Blountstown Manfacturing Co. - Blountstown (Calhoun)

In 1912 had an 8 mile logging road, increased to 17 miles in 1917. Mill was of 40,000 feet capacity.

 

Blue Creek Logging Company.

From 1907 to about 1920 this company operated a logging railroad from Blue Creek Junction (present Foley Junction) on the LOP&G south through Foley and southwest to Keaton Beach.

 

Bond, W. E. Co. - Lake Helena (Volusia)

In 1907 they operated a logging road of 14 miles with 1 locomotive and a mill of 30,000 feet capacity, the same in 1910. The 1912 report also shows a 12 mile road. Presumably the name of the town was changed to Lake Helen as it so shows in the 1917 report with 20 miles of logging road and a mill of 70,000 feet capacity. The 1920 report shows only that there was a logging road while the 1924 report also shows this but also that the mill capacity had been reduced to 50,000 feet. The same reported for 1928.

 

Bond Lumber Co. - Glenwood (Volusia)

In 1889 the company built a railroad from Glenwood westerly of DeLeon Springs and east of Barberville to a point just east of Eldridge. The line connected with the Plant System at Barberville. In 1907 this mill had a 15 mile logging road of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge with 2 locomotives and a mill capacity of 40,000 feet. In 1910 the road was still 15 miles in length. In 1912 the logging road was reduced to 6 miles while in 1917 it was increased to 14 miles. The 1920 and 1924 reports merely show a logging road. In 1925 the Textile City Northern Railway took over a portion of the logging railroad in the area around Lake Helen.

 

Kalamazoo (Volusia)

The 1907 report shows a 4 mile logging road of 3' gauge with 1 locomotive and 10,000 feet capacity.

 

Bonifay Lumber Company - Bonifay (Holmes)

Operated a sawmill and logging railroad with 2 Climax locomotives, Nos. 10 and 12.

 

Bradford Lumber Co. - Lawtey (Bradford)

The 1907 report shows an 18 mile logging road of 4'72" gauge and a 40,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Branford Lumber & Shingle Co. - Branford (Suwannee)

The 1907 report shows a logging road and mill of 40,000 feet capacity. In 1917 they took over the Mercer & Bass operation. The 1920 report shows a logging road.

 

Brinson, B. F. - Lake City (Columbia)

Operated a logging road in 1912.

 

Britton Lumber Co. - Lakewood (Walton)

Incorporated October 15, 1904. In 1907 they had an 18 mile logging road of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge, extending from Lakewood to Darlington, with 3 locomotives and a 40,000 foot capacity mill. In 1910 they only had 2 locomotives. In 1912 they had 20 miles of railroad; in 1917 23 miles; in 1920 23 miles with a 60,000 foot capacity mill; in 1924 with a 50 mile logging railroad; the same in 1928.

 

Brooks Brothers - Boulogne (Nassau)

Operated a logging railroad in 1880 extending from Boulogne to Toledo, Ga., via Traders Hill , Ga.

 

Brooks Scanlon Co. – Eastport (Duval)

In 1917 they took over Carpenter & Obrien with a 100 mile logging railroad and a mill of 250,000 feet capacity. In 1920 the logging road remained the same. In 1924 they had a 135 mile logging railroad with a 300,000 foot capacity mill. In 1928 no mileage was mentioned but the mill capacity had been increased to 330,000 feet. In 1929 the entire operation was moved to Foley and at one time they operated the Live Oak, Perry & Gulf Railway.

 

Foley (Taylor)

Operated a large sawmill and logging railroad in the 1920's, actually started in 1929, with the takeover of the Burton Swartz Cypress Co.

 

Shamrock (Taylor)

This mill was turned over to the Putnam Lumber Co.

 

Brown Belcher Lumber Co. - Galliver (Okaloosa)

This company had a 3 mile logging road in 1917.

 

Brown‑Florida Lumber Co. - Caryville (Walton)

This company took over the George E. Wood Lumber Co. with 25 miles of logging railroad. This was a former Henderson‑Waits Lumber Co. location.

 

Brown Lumber Co. - LaBelle (Hendry)

Company operated logging railroads in the area in the 1920's and 1930's.

 

Brown Shingle Co. - Wimauma (Hillsborough)

In 1917 this company had a 1 mile logging railroad.

 

Bucky, L. & Sons – Ellaville (Suwannee)

Operated a sawmill at Columbus, across the Suwannee River from Ellaville. In 1875 mill was taken over by Drew & Bucky.

 

Burleigh's Sawmill - Avon Park (Polk)

Company operated from 1890 to 1910 near Lake Thompson which is now Lake Brentwood. They had a 5 mile tram road from the mill to Avon Park.

 

Burton‑Swartz Cypress Co. of Florida - Perry (Taylor)

Chartered December 12, 1913. This company in 1917 had a 75 mile logging road and mill of 250,000 feet capacity. The logging road remained the same in 1920, 1924 and 1928. Established in 1914, sold to Brooks Scanlon in 1942 and resold to Lee Cypress Co. in 1944.

 

Buttenbach, J., & Co. - St. Augustine (St. Johns)

Company operated a saw mill and logging railroad in the 1880's.

[No. D.H.]

 

Byrd & Davis (Dover?)Lumber Co. - Trilby (Pasco)

In 1910, these people succeeded Peterson‑McNeil Co. and had an 11 mile logging railroad of 4'8 ½” gauge with 2 locomotives and a mill of 30,000 feet capacity.

 

Calhoun Timber Co. - Port St. Joe (Calhoun)

In 1917 had 10 miles of logging road with a 100,000 foot capacity mill. In 1920 still had 10 miles of road.

 

Camp, R. J. & B. F., Lumber Co. - White Springs (Hamilton)

Operated Florida & Georgia Railroad. In 1907 had 24 miles of logging road of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge and 20 miles of narrow gauge with 7 locomotives and a 200,000 foot capacity mill. In 1910 the railroad consisted of 10 miles of standard and 7 miles of narrow gauge, with 6 locomotives.

 

Carrabelle (Franklin)

Had a logging railroad of 60 miles with 3 locomotives and a mill of 50,000 feet capacity

 

Candler Lumber Co. - Campbells (Osceola)

In 1924 and 1928 had a logging railroad and a 50,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Carolina‑Florida Lumber Co. - Carey (Leon)

In 1910 they had a 1 mile logging railroad of 4'8 1/2" gauge and a 30,000 foot capacity mill. In 1912 had a 7 mile logging railroad, and a mill of 25,000 feet capacity.

 

Carpenter & Obrien

Established a mill at Eastport in 1917 with logging railroad, sold to Brooks Scanlon in 1917

 

Carrabelle Sawmill Co. - Carrabelle (Franklin)

In 1912 had an 18 mile logging railroad, and a 40,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Carter & Williams - Hurds (St. Johns)

In 1910 they had a 5 mile logging railroad with a 15,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Carter Manufacturing Co. - Carters (Polk)

Operated the Lake Hancock & Clermont Railroad. In 1907 had a 16 mile logging railroad of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge with 3 locomotives and a 35,000 foot capacity mill. In 1910 the railroad was 25 miles long with 5 miles under construction with a 30,000 foot capacity mill. In 1912 they had 20 miles of railroad, with a mill of 40,000 feet capacity.

 

Caryville & Geneva Railroad - Caryville (Holmes)

In 1889 this company had a 20 mile railroad of 4'9" gauge and 1 locomotive.

 

Cashen, T. V. - Jacksonville (Duval)

Operated a logging railroad in 1910.

 

Cedar Creek Mill Company - Noma (Holmes)

Operated a mill and logging railroad in the early 1900's.

 

Central Cypress Co. - Centralia (Hernando)

In 1912 this mill had a 6 mile logging railroad and a 100,000 foot capacity mi11.In 1917 the logging railroad extended for 18 miles, as it did in 1920.

 

Chical Lumber Co. - Blountstown (Calhoun)

This company in 1920 had a 17 mile logging road and a 40,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Chieftain Cypress Company - Ocala (Marion)

Incorporated May 4, 1896 and operated sawmill and logging railroad

 

The Chipola Company - Marysville (Calhoun)

Chartered August 9, 1905 and operated a sawmill and tramway. Also operated as Chipola Lumber Company.

 

Clancy Mill - Monroe Station (Monroe)

Operated a logging railroad, date unknown.

 

Clifford & Keay Lumber Corp. - Hastings (St. Johns)

In 1920 these people had a 20 mile logging road with a 40,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Coast Cypress Railroad Company - St. Marks (Wakulla)

Chartered January 28, 1902. Information scanty on whether logging railroad was built.

 

Coffee Springs Lumber Company – Svea (Okaloosa)

Operated a sawmill and logging railroad, date unknown.

 

Coleman Cypress Co. - Coleman (Sumter)

In 1907 this company has a 72 mile logging railroad with an additional 4 miles contemplated, with 2 locomotives and a 38,000 foot capacity mi11. No change in 1910.

 

Cole's Pole Road - DeFuniak Springs (Walton)

In 1889 this company had a 5 mile logging railroad of 5' gauge with 1 locomotive.

 

Cone Timber Co. - Center Hill (Sumter)

In 1917 this company operated a 6 mile logging railroad.

 

Cone, T. J. - Raleigh (Levy)

In 1907 this company operated a 15 mile logging railroad with 1 locomotive. In 1910 they were adding an additional mile to the railroad with 7 additional miles contemplated. They now had 2 locomotives and a mill of 30,000 foot capacity.

 

Consolidated Crate and Lumber Company - Lake Wales (Polk)

Claimed to have operated a logging railroad.

 

Consumers Lumber & Veneer Co. - Apopka (Orange)

In 1910 this company had a 4’ 8 1/2” gauge logging road 11 miles long with 3 miles under construction, with 2 locomotives and a 10,000 foot capacity mill. In 1912 this company had a 10 mile logging railroad with a 25,000 foot capacity mill. In the reports for 1917, 1920, 1924 and 1928 the railroad is shown as 12 miles long.

 

Conwell Lumber Company - Gardner (DeSoto)

In 1920 operated a sawmill of 20,000 feet capacity and a logging railroad.

 

Cook, Ernest - Wellborn (Suwannee)

In 1924 and 1928 this company operated a logging railroad and a mill with 5,000 foot capacity.

 

Cotter, R. B. - Green Cove Springs (Clay)

In 1924 had a logging railroad with a 30,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Cracy, L. C. - Hague (Alachua)

In 1907 operated a sawmill and logging road 3 miles long with 2 miles under construction.

 

Cross City Lumber Co. - Cross City (Dixie)

In 1924 this company operated a logging railroad with a mill of 50,000 feet capacity. In 1928 this company operated a logging railroad and a mill with 60,000 foot capacity.

 

Cross, John H. - Lumber Company, Caryville (Walton)

Incorporated September 6, 1888 and operated a sawmill and logging railroad.

 

Crystal River Lumber Co. - Crystal River (Citrus)

In 1907 they operated a 21 mile logging railroad of 3' gauge with 4 locomotives and a 50,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Dunnellon (Marion)

In 1907 they operated a 5 mile logging railroad of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge with 1 locomotive and a 30,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Cummer Cypress Co. - Sumner (Levy)

Also operated as Cummer Sons Cypress Co. In 1917 they operated a 20 mile logging

Railroad and a mill of 60,000 foot capacity. In 1924 and 1928 they still operated a 20 mile road. Operated from 1914 to 1942.

 

Lacoochee (Sumter)

Operated extensive logging railroads in this area, established in 1923; shut down in 1960.

 

Immokalee (Hendry)

Operated a saw mill and logging railroad in the 1920's.

 

Crows Bluff Operated a sawmill and logging railroad in the 1920's.

 

Cummer Lumber Co. - Jacksonville (Duval)

In 1907 this company had a 30 mile logging railroad of 4'9" gauge with 5 locomotives and a 130,000 foot capacity mill. In 1910 they are reported to have a 20 mile road with 6 additional miles contemplated. They now had 6 locomotives. In 1912 the railroad was still at 20 miles but the mill capacity had decreased to 125,000 feet. This mill was shut down in the 1920's.

 

Callahan (Nassau)

Had a logging railroad between Callahan and Hilliard in the early 1900's.

 

Raiford (Bradford)

Operated a logging railroad which later became part of the Jacksonville & Southwestern Railroad.

 

Dantzler Lumber C - Green Cove Springs (Clay)

In 1877 had about a 2 mile logging railroad from the mill to Green Cove Springs.

 

Darby, J. F. - Lumber Co.

Location unknown but reported to have a logging railroad.

 

Darby West, Coffee & Co. - Inverness (Citrus)

In 1907 had a 20 mile logging railroad, no change in 1910.

 

Davis, Lewis A. & Bros. (Davis Manufacturing Co.) - Crandall (Nassau)

In 1910 operated a 10 mile logging railroad of 4’8 ½” gauge with 4 miles additional under construction and 2 more contemplated. They had 1 locomotive and a mill of 30,000 feet capacity. In 1912 had an 11 mile logging railroad.

 

Kings Ferry (Nassau)

In 1917 had a 4 mile logging railroad and a mill of 20,000 feet capacity. In 1920 they still show 4 miles of road. In the 1880's the company had a railroad from Kings Ferry and Crandall to Becker, a connection with the Seaboard Air Line Railroad. The line handled freight and passengers as well as lumber but was discontinued in 1916.

 

Deal Curtis Lumber Co. - Drifton (Jefferson)

In 1928 this company operated a logging railroad and a mill of 40,000 feet capacity.

 

Deaver & Scott - Sumica (Polk)

In 1924 and 1928 these people had a 9 mile logging railroad and a mill of 20,000 feet capacity.

 

Deberry Brothers - Larkins (Dade)

Operated a sawmill and logging railroad in 1920 with a 10,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Deep Creek Railroad. (Duval)

This was the name of the logging railroad operated by Upchurch Lumber Co. at Jacksonville in 1910.

[Sawmill at Jacksonville, RR at Deep Creek. D.H.]

 

DeFuniak Springs & Northern Railroad. (Walton)

This was the logging railroad of the Beach, Rogers & Company which was leased by the Louisville & Nashville Railroad in 1910 and abandoned in 1921.

 

Denton Lumber Co. - Enville (Hernando)

In 1917 this company had a 9 mile logging railroad and a 50,000 foot capacity mi11.In 1920 the rail line was still 9 miles.

 

Dowling and Camp Lumber Company - Slater (Lee)

This company operated extensive logging railroads in the area between North Fort Myers and Slater in 1930 which were abandoned in 1944 when the area was logged out.

 

Dowling Co. - Odessa (Pasco)

In 1920 this company had a logging railroad and a 60,000 foot capacity mill. The logging railroad still shows in 1924 and 1928.

 

Dowling, J. W. & Co. - Lake Ogden (Columbia)

In 1889 this company had a 72 mile logging railroad of 5' gauge with 1 locomotive.

 

Dowling Lumber Co. - Alton (Lafayette)

In 1907 this company operated a 38 mile logging railroad with 3 locomotives. They took over the operation of the Georgia Florida Mill Co. In 1910 operated an 18 mile logging railroad with 20 additional miles under construction with 3 locomotives and a mill of 125,000 feet capacity.

 

Dowling Park (Suwannee)

Operated the Live Oak Perry & Gulf Railroad. In 1907 they had a 50 mile logging railroad of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge and a 125,000 foot capacity mill. the LOP&G was an 80 mile common carrier of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge. In 1910 they were operating 28 miles of logging railroad with 12 locomotives. Part of this operation with 21 miles of logging railroad went under the name of Blue Creek Logging Co. The name of the company was changed from Dowling Lumber & Naval Stores Co. on February 13, 1907.

 

Dowling, R. L. (Suwannee)

Short Line. Operated a logging railroad in the Live Oak area in the early 1900's, sold to Standard Lumber Co. in 1910.

 

Dowling, Robert L., & Son - Green Cove Springs (Clay)

In 1924 this company had a logging railroad and a 60,000 foot capacity mi11.In 1928 this company had a logging railroad and a 40,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Dowling‑Shands Lumber Co. - Green Cove Springs (Clay)

In 1912 this company had a 10 mile logging railroad and a 60,000 foot capacity mill. They are listed with a logging road in 1917 and 1920.

 

Drake Lumber Co. - Princeton (Dade)

In 1910 they operated an 8 mile logging railroad of 4'8 1/2" gauge with 3 additional miles under construction and 5 miles contemplated. They had 1 locomotive and a mill of 40,000 feet capacity. In 1912 they had a 12 mile logging railroad and a 50,000 foot capacity mill. In 1917 and 1920 they show a 20 mile logging railroad.

 

Kelsey City (Palm Beach)

In 1924 and 1928 they show a 20 mile logging railroad and a 50,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Drew and Bucky Sawmill. (Suwannee)

This company operated logging railroads in Suwannee County in 1875. At Columbus, across the river from Ellaville. Took over L. Bucky & Sons sawmill.

 

Drew Lumber Company - Call (Lafayette)

In 1901 this company built a logging railroad from Fort McComb to Call thence to Columbia City via Branford.

 

Dunham, C.E. & W. N. - Johnstown (Bradford)

In 1907 they had an 8 mile logging railroad.

 

Dupont Railway and Land Co. - Dupont (Flagler)

In 1912 they had a 15 mile logging railroad, with a mill of 30,000 feet capacity.

 

East Coast Lumber Co. - Watertown (Columbia)

Operated Watertown & Northern Railroad. In 1907 had a 50 mile logging railroad with 6 locomotives and a 150,000 foot capacity mill. In 1910 the trackage had been reduced to 35 miles but 3 more miles were under construction. By 1912 the trackage was back to 50 and remained so through 1917, 1920, 1924 and 1928 although mill capacity had been reduced to 120,000 feet by 1920 and 100,000 feet by 1924.

 

East Florida Land & Produce Co. - St. Augustine (St. Johns)

In 1889 operated 11 3/4 miles of logging railroad of 3' gauge with 1 locomotive. They also operated a street railroad in St. Johns County near St. Augustine.

 

Econfena Lumber Co. - Boyd (Taylor)

In 1917 operated a logging railroad.

 

Loughridge (Taylor)

Operated a logging railroad in 1917.

 

Eddy, Charles - Quincy (Gadsden)

Operated 3 miles of logging railroad in 1912, and a mill of 20,000 foot capacity.

 

Edge Dowling Lumber Co. - Taylorville (Lake)

Incorporated September 19, 1908. Operated 8 miles of logging railroad in 1912, with a 75,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Groveland (Lake)

Operated a logging railroad in 1917.

 

Edge Lumber Co. - Taylorville (Lake)

In 1907 operated 8 miles of logging railroad of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge and 1 locomotive with a

Mill of 25,000 feet capacity. In 1910 they were reported as operating 6 miles of track with 2 more under construction with 2 locomotives and 30,000 foot     mill capacity

 

Ehren Pine Co. - Ehren (Pasco)

In 1917 operated 10 miles of logging railroad and a mill of 30,000 feet capacity. In 1920 the logging railroad was still 10 miles long.

 

Elsberry Bros. & Miller - Mayo (Lafayette)

In 1917 operated 5 miles of logging railroad.

 

Enterprise Lumber Co. - Fountain (Calhoun)

In 1912 operated 15 miles of logging railroad, with 40,000 foot mill capacity.

 

Eppinger & Russell Logging Railroad - Olustee (Baker)

In 1889 operated 15 miles of 4'9" gauge logging railroad with 2 locomotives.

 

Escambia Land & Manufacturing Co. - Escambia (Escambia)

Chartered February 17, 1905. In 1907 operated 382 miles with 15 additional contemplated 3' gauge logging railroad with 5 locomotives and a 50,000 foot capacity mill. In 1910 they had 40 miles of 3 foot gauge and 6 miles of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge with 6 locomotives and mill capacity of 40,000 feet. Operated as Escambia Mill Co. in 1917.

 

Pace (Santa Rosa)

In 1912 operated 27 miles of logging railroad and continued with its logging road in 1917, with mill of 110,000 foot capacity.

 

Escambia Railway.

The logging railroad of Alger Sullivan Lumber Co., built in 1901 from Century, Fl. to Camp 11, Monroe County, Ala., 45 miles: Extended in 1913 to Fowler, Ala., 65 miles from Century.

 

Evans Vickery Lumber Co. - Perry (Taylor)

Operated a logging railroad in 1924 and 1928 with a 20,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Everglade Cypress Lumber Co. - Loughman (Polk)

In 1907 operated 25 miles of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge logging railroad with 3 locomotives and a 100,000 foot capacity mill. In 1910 the rail line had increased to 26 miles with 3 more under construction and 20 contemplated. In 1912 the road increased to 30 miles, down to 16 miles in 1917 and 1920 with the mill capacity reduced to 60,000 feet. In 1924 the mill was down to 50,000 feet capacity with 16 miles of logging railroad. In 1928 the road was still 16 miles long.

 

Flint Lumber Co. - Avon Park (DeSoto)

In 1920 had logging railroad and mill with 60,000 foot capacity.

 

Florala Saw Mill Co. - Paxton (Walton)

In 1907 had an 8 mile logging railroad with 4 miles contemplated, 2 locomotives and a 70,000 foot capacity mill. In 1910 had an 8 mile railroad. In 1912 had 12 miles of railroad and a 100,000 foot capacity mill. In 1917 only a logging railroad is listed as was the case in 1920.

 

Florida and Alabama Land Company's Railroad - Galliver (Santa Rosa)

This company built a logging railroad from Galliver to Falco, Ala., 25.5 miles. The line was taken over in 1911 by the Florida, Alabama and Gulf Railroad and in 1919 by the Andalusia, Florida & Gulf Railway and abandoned in 1925.

 

Florida and Alabama Railroad.

This company was established in 1915 and operated a logging railroad from Bagdad to Munson, 23 miles, via Milton, a connecting point with the Louisville & Nashville Railroad. The line was eventually extended to Whitney, Ala., 44 miles from Bagdad. The company was owned and operated by the Bagdad Land and Lumber Co. and previously owned and operated by Stearns & Culver Lumber Co. and Henderson‑Waits Lumber Co.

 

Florida and Georgia Railway.

This company was chartered in 1903 and built a logging railroad from Wellborn to Thaggard, 30 miles, via White Springs. The line was abandoned in 1921. It was operated as the logging road of the R. J. and B. F. Camp Lumber Co.

 

Florida Land & Timber Co. - Montbrook (Levy)

In 1907 they operated 10 miles of logging railroad with 5 miles under construction.

 

Florida Land Company - Montbrook (Levy)

In 1907 this company had 12 miles of logging railroad with a 30,000 foot capacity mill. In 1910 they are reported with 10 miles of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge logging railroad with 5 miles under construction. The mill capacity had increased to 50,000 feet. Mileage dropped to 12 in 1912, with mill capacity down to 40,000 feet, but back up to 15 in 1917.

 

Florida Logging Co. ‑ No information.

 

Florida Lumber Company - Jacksonville (Duval)

Incorporated September 27, 1879 and took over the operations of the Sanderson & Lake Butler Railway, a logging railroad running out of Sanderson and authorized to operate to points in Duval, Baker, Nassau, Bradford, Clay and Putnam counties.

 

Florida Mill & Planning Mill - Sumita (Polk)

In 1920 had 4 miles of logging railroad and 35,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Florida Railroad and Lumber Company - Bronson (Alachua)

This company was chartered April 4, 1882 and built a logging railroad from Bronson westward to a point on the Suwannee River at Clay Landing.

 

Florida Saw Company Railroad.

A logging railroad in Walton county running from Paxton south about 9 miles.

 

Florida Tie and Timber Company - Jacksonville (Duval)

Operated a sawmill and 3' gauge logging railroad with 2 Shays, one built in 1888 gotten from D. E. Throwers and one built in 1893 from Page Lumber Co. The company became the American Tie and Timber Company. One of the Shays was sold to Weber & Davis and the other to Thomas M. Hall.

 

Florida Timber Products Company.

Chartered May 2, 1911 in Michigan and operated a logging railroad in Florida in 1913, location unknown.

 

Foley Lumber Co. - Perry (Taylor)

This company operated a large sawmill and logging railroad.

 

Ford Lumber & Supply Co. - Indio (St. Lucie)

In 1920 had logging railroad and 35,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Ford‑Rembert Lumber Co. - Dupont (St. Johns)

In 1917 had 15 mile logging railroad.

 

Fort Green Lumber & Crate Co. - Fort Green (DeSoto)

In 1917 had 15 miles of logging railroad and a 20,000 foot capacity mill. In 1920 road was still 15 miles.

 

Foshee Lumber Co. - Campbellton (Jackson)

In 1928 had a logging railroad and a mill with capacity of 25,000 feet.

 

Willow (Manatee)

In 1924 this company had a logging railroad with a 65,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Fox, J. P. - Balm (Hillsborough)

In 1917 had 4 miles of logging railroad.

 

Denham (Pasco)

In 1920 had 6 miles of logging railroad with a 20,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Fuquay & Gheen - Daytona Beach (Volusia)

In 1920 had a logging railroad and a mill with 6,000 feet capacity.

 

Geneva Lumber Co. - Eleanor (Holmes)

In 1907 had 32 miles of logging railroad of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge with 4 locomotives and a mill of 45,000 feet capacity. In 1910 the rail mileage had been increased to 35. In 1912 the railroad had been reduced to 28 miles, but the mill capacity increased to 55,000 feet.

 

Geneva Mill Co. - Freeport (Walton)

In 1928 they had a logging railroad and a mill with capacity of 50,000 feet.

 

Georgia Florida Mill Co. - Alton (Lafayette)

In 1907 they had a logging railroad of 18 miles and 3 locomotives. Mill was sold to Dowling Lumber Co. [Drew?]

 

German American Lumber Co. - Pensacola (Escambia)

Incorporated June 15, 1901. In 1907 they had a logging railroad.

 

Millville (Bay)

In 1910 they are reported as having a logging railroad. In 1912 they had a 50 mile logging road, with mill of 100,000 feet capacity, reduced to 10 miles in 1917. Established in 1907; sold to Bay Lumber Co., later to International Paper Co. in 1931.

 

Fountain (Bay)

In 1917 they had a 40 mile logging railroad.

 

German Land and Timber Company - Limestone (Hardee)

These people had a logging railroad in the 1920's and 1930's operating from Limestone, via Sugar Bowl across Horse Creek to Manatee County.

 

Goethe Howell Lumber Co. - Olustee (Baker)

In 1928 had a logging railroad and a mill with 85,000 foot capacity. Taken over by J. Ray Arnold Lumber Co.

 

Goethe Lumber Co. - Sapp (Baker)

In 1917 had a 10 mile logging railroad and a mill with 30,000 feet capacity. In 1920 still had 20 miles of logging railroad.

 

Goethe Walling Lumber Co. – Whitney (Lake)

In 1912 they had a 10 mile logging railroad and a 30,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Gracy, L. C. - Gainesville (Alachua)

In 1907 they had a 5 mile logging railroad with 1 locomotive and a 15,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Gracy Lumber Co. - Hague (Alachua)

This company succeeded L. C. Gracy and had a logging railroad of 4'8 1/2" gauge 32 miles long with 1 locomotive and a mill of 15,000 feet capacity.

 

Graham Lumber Company.

Incorporated October 1, 1855, but no information available.

 

Graves Bros. Co. - Carrabelle (Franklin)

In 1924 and 1928 they had a 30 mile logging railroad and a mill of 120,000 feet capacity.

 

Graves Lumber Co. - Hosford (Liberty)

In 1912 they had an 8 mile logging railroad and a mill with 125,000 foot capacity. In 1917 and 1920 the logging railroad shows as 30 miles.

 

Quincy (Gadsden) Operated a sawmill and logging railroad in the early 1900's.

 

Graves‑Tatom Co. - Freeport (Walton)

In 1907 they had a 15 mile logging railroad with 1 locomotive and a 35,000 foot capacity mill. By 1910 they had another locomotive and the mill capacity had been increased to 50,000 feet.

 

Gray, H. L. - Gainesville (Alachua)

In 1912 they had a 9 mile loading railroad and a 20,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Socastee (Alachua)

In 1917 they had a 10 mile logging railroad.

 

Green Log Railroad - Holopaw (Osceola)

Operated a logging railroad running 7 miles east from Holopaw.

 

Greenville Yellow Pine Co. - Greenville (Madison)

Operated the Greenville Southern Railroad. In 1912 had a 15 mile logging railroad and a 40,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Greer, J. L. - Greer (Pasco)

In 1907 they had an 18 mile logging railroad of 4'8 1/2" gauge with a mill of 46,000 feet capacity. In 1910 they had 2 locomotives and a mill of 40,000 feet capacity. In 1912 the road was reduced to 15 miles and in 1917 and 1920 shows as 25 miles.

 

Gulf Cypress Lumber Co. - Ehren (Pasco)

In 1907 they had a 32 mile logging railroad with 5 locomotives and a 40,000 foot capacity mill. In 1910 there were 24 miles of 4'81/2" gauge railroad with 21 more contemplated. They now had 6 locomotives. In 1912 the rail mileage had been reduced to 20.

 

Gulf Lumber and Railway Company - Spring Hill (Leon?)

Chartered January 5, 1910 and operated a saw mill and logging railroad.

 

Gulf Pine Co. - Odessa (Pasco)

In 1912 they had a 10 mile logging railroad and a mill of 60,000 feet capacity. In 1917 and 1920 they were shown as having a logging railroad.

 

Gulf Yellow Pine Co. - Fenholloway (Taylor)

In 1917 they are shown as having a logging railroad.

 

Hagerman Lumber Company – Cebacklam?.

Operated a sawmill and logging railroad with 2 Shay locomotives, one #2, built in 1900 and #3 built in 1901, both standard gauge. #3 was later sold to Zachary Lumber Co.

 

Hall Lumber Co. - Terrell (Hernando)

In 1912 had a 15 mile logging railroad, with a 40,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Hall, Thomas M., Woodville (Leon) Operated Woodville Railroad. Had 10 mile logging railroad with 2 additional miles contemplated of 4'8'‑2" gauge with 1 locomotive. Mill had capacity of 10,000 feet. This was in 1907. In 1910 3 additional miles were contemplated.

 

Halsema, J. C., Manufacturing Co. - Jacksonville (Duval)

In 1920 had a logging railroad and a mill of 50,000 feet capacity. In 1924 and 1928 still had a logging railroad but mill capacity had been reduced to 35,000 feet.

 

H. A. Lumber Co. - Jacksonville (Duval)

In 1917 had a 50 mile logging railroad.

 

Hamilton Lumber Co. - Jasper (Hamilton)

In 1910 had a 4'8 1/2" gauge logging railroad, 8 miles in length with an additional mile under construction, with 2 locomotives and a 50,000 foot capacity mill. In 1912 had a 10 mile logging railroad and a 40,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Hanbury Lumber Co. - Martel (Marion)

In 1920 had a logging railroad and a mill with 40, 000 feet capacity. Took over the Martel Lumber. Co.

 

Harbeson, W. B., Lumber Co. - DeFuniak Springs (Walton)

In 1917 had a 10 mile logging railroad and a mill with 75,000 feet capacity. In 1920, 1924 and 1928 the logging railroad shows as 25 miles.

 

Hayes, W. A., & Sons - Maytown (Volusia)

In 1920 had a logging railroad and a mill of 20,000 feet capacity.

 

Helen Lumber Co. - Helen (Leon)

In 1917 had a 17 mile logging railroad and a 60,000 foot capacity mill. In 1920 the railroad was still 17 miles.

 

Henderson Lumber Company - Sanford (Seminole)

This company had sawmills and a logging railroad in the early 1900's.

 

Henderson‑Waits Lumber Co. - Caryville (Washington)

Chartered June 25, 1912. Took over the operations of Stearns and Culver Lumber Co. at Bagdad. The location at Caryville was later sold to George E. Wood Lumber Co. who in turn sold out to Brown‑Florida Lumber Co. In 1917 they had a 26 mile logging railroad with a 150,000 foot capacity mill. In 1920 the railroad was still 26 miles long. In 1924 the railroad was 50 miles long with a 200,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Hicks Peager Lumber Co. - Pine Barren (Escambia)

In 1912 they had a 3 mile logging railroad. Also operated as McMillan Mill Co.

 

Hilliard & Bailey - Hilliard (Nassau)

In 1889 had a 17 mile logging railroad of 5' gauge with 3 locomotives. Also operated a rail line from Hilliard to Kings Ferry on the St. Mary’s River at which point lumber could be loaded aboard vessels.

 

Hillsborough Railroad and Logging Company.

Company was chartered in 1893 and proposed logging operations along the Hillsborough River.

 

Hipple, Geo. W., & Co. - Highland (Bradford)

In 1889 had a 9 mile logging railroad of 4'8 1/2" gauge with 2 locomotives.

 

Hodges Lumber Company.

Supposed to have operated a logging railroad but no information.

 

Holmes Lumber Co. – Glen?

In 1912 had a 6 mile logging railroad, with a mill of 30,000 feet capacity.

 

Home Mill Co. - Bohemia (Escambia)

In 1907 they had a 6 mile logging railroad of 4'8 1/2" gauge with 1 locomotive and a mill of 30,000 feet capacity.

 

Horse Shoe Lumber Company - Chipley (Washington)

Operated a lumber mill and logging road in the 1920's.

 

Hunter Co. - Jasper (Hamilton)

In 1917 they had a 10 mile logging railroad.

 

Hutton Lumber Co. - Galliver (Okaloosa)

In 1920 they had a 3 mile logging railroad with a mill of 15,000 feet capacity.

 

Indian River Cypress Co. - Oak Hill (Volusia)

In 1907 had a 3 mile logging railroad with 1 locomotive and a 50,000 foot mill.

 

Indian River Lumber Company.

Incorporated October 1, 1885 but no information available.

 

Ingram‑Day Lumber Company - Caryville (Washington)

Operated a logging railroad from Caryville to southeast Washington county via Vernon, in the early 1900's

 

Ingram‑Dekle Lumber Co. - Dade City (Pasco)

In 1912 they had a 6 mile logging railroad, with a 30,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Interstate Lumber Co. - Perry (Taylor)

In 1917 they had a 4 mile logging railroad.

 

Irvine Crate & Basket Co. - Irvine (Marion)

In 1917 they had a 7 mile logging railroad and a 10,000 foot capacity mill. In 1920 the railroad was still 7 miles.

 

Jacobi Lumber Co. - Molino (Escambia)

In 1910 and 1912 they had a 10 mile logging railroad with a 50,000 foot capacity mill. In 1917 and 1920 the logging railroad shows as 8 miles. In 1924 they had a 15 mile logging railroad with a 70,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Jarratt Lumber Corp. - Marianna (Jackson)

In 1917 they had a 20 mile logging railroad.

 

Jasper Manufacturing Co. - Jasper (Hamilton)

In 1907 they had a 5 mile logging railroad with 10 miles contemplated of 4'8 1/2" gauge with 2 locomotives and a 50,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Johnson Tie & Timber Co. - Lake City (Columbia)

In 1907 they had a logging railroad.

 

Jones, C. J., (C.D.?),Lumber Company - Jerome (Collier)

Operated extensive logging railroads in the 1920's from a point west of Jerome to points north and toward the Hendry county line.

 

Jones, J. W., Lumber Co. - Palatka (Putnam)

In 1928 they had a logging railroad with a mill of 25,000 foot capacity.

 

Joyce, J. D. - Lutz (Hillsborough)

In 1920 they had a 3 mile logging railroad with a 10,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Kelley Clark Lumber Company - Tallahassee (Leon)

Operated a sawmill and logging railroad in the 1920's.

 

Kennedy Lumber Company - Apalachicola (Franklin)

Incorporated February 12, 1889. Operated sawmills and logging railroads in the Apalachicola area.

 

King Lumber & Manufacturing Co. - Nocatee (DeSoto)

In 1907 they had a logging railroad. In 1910 they had a 4'8 1/2" gauge logging railroad 10 miles in length with 1 locomotive. In 1912 it was 16 miles long, with a mill of 25,000 feet capacity. In 1917 30 miles; in 1920, 30 miles with a mill capacity of 40,000 feet and in 1924 and 1928 still a 30 mile logging railroad.

 

Gardner (DeSoto)

In 1917 they had a logging railroad.

 

King, R. M. - Lebanon (Levy)

In 1917 they had a 2 mile logging railroad.

 

Kissimmee Lumber Co. - Kissimmee (Osceola)

In 1910 they had a logging railroad and a mill of 20,000 foot capacity.

 

Lake City and Suwannee Shoals Railroad and Lumber Company. (Columbia)

Chartered in 1879 and apparently built a logging railroad from Lake City to Suwannee Shoals, 11 miles.

 

Lake County Manufacturing Company - Tavares (Lake)

This company operated a saw mill and logging railroad in the Tavares area.

 

Lake Hancock & Clermont Railroad. (Lake)

Chartered July 12, 1902. The line ran from Carters to Nettie, 24 miles, via Lehman, Archbold, Morse and Lake Agnes. The line was owned and operated by the Carter Manufacturing Company, primarily as a logging railroad.

 

Lake Wales Lumber Co. - Lake Wales (Polk)

In 1917 they had a 4 mile logging railroad.

 

Lake Yale Lumber Co. - Grand Island (Lake)

In 1907 they had a 4 mile logging railroad with 4 miles contemplated of 3' gauge, 1 locomotive and a mill of 25,000 feet capacity. There was no change in the 1910 report.

 

Landeck Lumber Co. - Tampa (Hillsborough)

In 1917, 1920, 1924 and 1928 they show a 12 mile logging railroad with a 50,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Lee Tidewater Cypress Company - Copeland (Collier)

Operated extensive sawmill and logging operations in Collier county west of Copeland in the early 1920's.

 

Perry (Taylor)

Operated a mill at Perry starting in 1924. In 1944 as Lee Cypress Co., took over the Burton Swartz Cypress Co.. Name was changed in 1947 to Lee Tidewater Cypress Co., a division of J. C. Turner Lumber Co.

 

Leno Logging Railroad.

Operated in the south part of Clay county in the 1870's.

 

Leon Lumber Co. - Leonton (Leon)

In 1907 they had a 4 mile logging railroad with 5 miles contemplated of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge with 1 locomotive and a mill of 25,000 feet capacity.

 

Levy County Timber Company - Bronson (Levy)

Chartered June 28, 1923. Operated a sawmill and logging railroad in the Bronson area.

 

Lewis & Brother Veneer and Lumber Company - Perry (Taylor)

In 1917 they had a logging railroad.

 

Liberty Lumber Co. - Sumatra (Liberty)

In 1924 and 1928 they had a logging railroad and a mill of 18,000 feet capacity.

 

Limestone Manufacturing Co. - Limestone (DeSoto)

In 1917 they had a 12 mile logging railroad. Also the German Lumber Co.

 

Manasota Lumber Co. - Manasota (Manatee)

In 1918 the company had extensive logging operations east of Manasota. In 1920 they had a logging railroad and a mill of 150,000 feet capacity. The company operated a railroad between Venice and Manasota. In 1923 the company was taken over by the Nocatee‑Manatee Freight Company and the name of Manasota was changed to Woodmere. All rail lines were abandoned in 1930.

 

Manatee Lumber Co. (Manatee Crate Co.) - Manatee (Manatee)

In 1917, 1920, 1924 and 1928 they had a logging railroad of 7 miles length with a mill of 40,000 feet capacity.

 

Marbury, E. L., Lumber Co. - Malone (Jackson)

Operated the Alabama & Florida Southern Railroad. In 1912 they had a logging railroad of 16 miles and a 40,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Marchant, W. R., & Son - Sneads (Jackson)

In 1924 and 1928 they had a logging railroad with a mill of 10,000 feet capacity.

 

Martel Lumber Co. - Martel (Marion)

Incorporated August 26, 1903.In 1907 they had an 8 mile logging railroad increased to 15 miles in 1910 with 22 miles under construction and 6 miles contemplated. They had 2 locomotives. Track was increased to 30 miles in 1912 and 33 miles in 1917, with a 40,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Martin Veneer Company - Bluff Springs (Escambia)

Operated a saw mill and logging railroad in 1920.

 

Martins Mill Company - Milligan (Santa Rosa)

Operated a sawmill and logging railroad in the early 1900's. Their roster consisted of a Climax locomotive from Scutt Lambert Lumber Co., and one from Forrester Lumber Co. and a Shay built in 1907 from Barnwell Lumber Co.

 

Maxcey Mill - Ochopee (Collier)

Operated a logging railroad east of Ochopee and north of the Tamiami Trail in the 1920's.

 

Maxwell Crate and Lumber Co. – Live Oak (Suwannee)

Operated a sawmill and logging railroad at Live Oak Florida.

 

Mayo Lumber Co., Milton (Santa Rosa) In 1917 they had a 25 mile logging railroad.

 

McCaskill, J. J., Co. - Freeport (Walton)

In 1907 they had a 15 mile logging railroad, still in operation in 1910.

 

McDowell Crate and Lumber Co. - Oak (Marion)

Incorporated May 20, 1904.In 1910 they had a 4' 8 1/2" gauge logging railroad of 4 miles with 1 more under construction and 5 additional contemplated., with 1 locomotive and a 20,000 foot capacity mill.

 

McEachin‑McNair Lumber Co. - Meredith (Levy)

In 1917 they had a 20 mile logging railroad.

 

McGehee Lumber Co. - Summerfield (Marion)

Incorporated December 23, 1905. In 1907 they had a 28 mile logging railroad with 4 locomotives and a 60,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Levon (Marion)

In 1910 they had an 18 mile logging railroad with 4 locomotives and a 60,000 foot capacity mill. In 1912 they had an 18 mile logging railroad with a 70,000 foot capacity mill. [Railroad ran from Levon to Dallas? On SAL D.H.]

 

McGowins Mill Company - McGowins (Santa Rosa)

Operated a sawmill and logging railroad in the early 1900's.

 

McMillan Mill Co. - Pine Barren (Escambia)

In 1907 they had a 1 mile logging railroad of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge, 1 locomotive and a mill of 75,000 feet capacity. Reports show the same information for 1910. In 1912 they had 3 miles of railroad and a mill of 60,000 feet capacity. Also operated in the name of Hicks & Peager Lumber Co.

 

McNair and Wade Land Company - Montbrook (Levy)

Operated a logging railroad in 1900.

 

McPhail Lumber Co. - Defuniak Springs (Walton)

In 1910 this company had a 2 mile logging railroad and a mill of 12,000 feet capacity.

 

McWilliams, J. J., Company - Fort Myers (Lee)

Operated a sawmill and logging railroad in the 1920's.

 

Medlin, R. D., & Co. - Williston (Levy)

In 1907 had a 10 mile logging railroad with 2 locomotives. Same in 1910.

 

Melrose Manufacturing Co. - Melrose (Alachua)

In 1907 they had an 8 mile logging railroad and a mill of 10,000 feet capacity.

 

Melton, C. E. - Micanopy (Alachua)

In 1907 they had a 5 mile logging railroad with 3 miles contemplated of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge with 1 locomotive and a mill of 25,000 feet capacity. In 1910 mileage was increased to 8 with 1 under construction and 2 Locomotives with a 40,000 foot capacity mill. Mileage was still 8 in 1912. Name was changed to Melton Lumber Co., succeeding C. E. Melton.

 

Melton‑Phillips Lumber Co. - Fanlew (Jefferson)

In 1912 they had an 8 mile logging railroad and a mill of 80,000 fee capacity.

 

Melton Timber Co. - Early Bird (Marion)

In 1920 they had a logging railroad and a mill of 10,000 feet capacity.

 

Mercer & Bass - Branford (Suwannee)

In 1912 they had a 12 mile logging railroad and a mill of 30,000 feet capacity. Sold to Branford Lumber Company in 1917.

 

Meredith Lumber Co. - Meredith (Levy)

In 1920 they had a 20 mile logging railroad and a 40,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Michigan Lumber Company - Olustee (Baker)

Incorporated June 27, 1876 with authority to cut timber in the area and build logging railroad.

 

Middleburg, Highlands and Lake Butler Railroad Company – (Clay & Baker)

Chartered in 1888 and proposed to run between the points in its name. It was never completed as a common carrier but was used as a logging railroad.

 

Mizell, J., & Bro. - Kings Ferry (Nassau)

In 1907 they had a logging railroad, also in 1910.

 

Moore Timber Co. - Bay Harbor (Bay)

In 1917 they had a 30 mile logging railroad.

 

Morgan & Bennett, Bennett or Dennett, (Madison?)

In 1924 and 1928 they had a logging railroad with a mill of 25,000 foot capacity.

 

Morrison, D. B., & Co. - Morriston (Levy)

In 1907 they had an 8 mile logging railroad with 3 miles contemplated. In 1910 mileage was down to 5 with only 2 locomotives and 50,000 foot mill capacity. In 1912 they had 6 miles of logging railroad with a 30,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Murphy, Henry, Co. - Apalachicola (Franklin)

In 1920 they had a logging railroad and a 20,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Muscogee Lumber Company - Pensacola (Escambia)

Incorporated April 6, 1874 with authority to do lumbering and construct logging railroads.

 

Mussell, A. J. - Spray (Madison)

In 1917 they had a 9 mile logging railroad.

 

Natural Bridge Railway.

The company was formed in 1904 and built lines from Moody to Wacissa, 12.6 miles; Vereen to Delph and from Vereen to Fanlew, 11.5 miles. The latter line being completed in 1909. In 1910 the line was operated by the Florida Central Railroad. In later years the line was operated by the Tallahassee Saw Mill Company and became a logging railroad.

 

Neal Lumber & Manufacturing Co. - Blountstown (Calhoun)

In 1928 they had a logging railroad and a 40,000 foot capacity mill. Company established in 1919, railroad abandoned in late 1920's.

 

Needmore Southern Railroad.

This was the logging railroad of the Robinson Improvement Company at Jacksonville and was 5 miles long in 1912.

 

New York & Florida Lumber Co. – Tyler (Alachua)

Succeeded Tyler Lumber Co. In 1910 had a 4’ 8 1/2” gauge logging railroad 7 miles long with 2 more miles contemplated and 2 locomotives with a mill of 70,000 feet capacity. In 1912 they. had 10 miles of logging railroad but the mill capacity had been reduced to 40,000 feet. Company established in March, 1870.

 

Nocatee Crate Company - Brandon (Manatee)

This company operated a sawmill and logging railroad in the area in the early 1920's and 1930's.

 

Nocatee Manatee Freight Company.

This company was formed in 1923 and took over the Gulf Coast Railway ‑ Venice to Manasota, and the Manasota Lumber Companys logging railroad. Both were abandoned in 1930.

 

Omohundro Brothers Lumber Co. - Griffin (Hardee)

In 1912 they had a 6 mile logging railroad and a 10,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Osceola Cypress Co. - Bridgend (Seminole)

In 1917 and 1920 they had a 9 mile logging railroad and a mill of 75,000 feet capacity.

 

Osceola (Seminole)

In 1924 and 1928 they had a 9 mile logging railroad and a mill of 75,000 feet capacity. These may be one and the same mills.

 

Otter Creek Lumber Co. - Otter Creek (Levy)

Operated Otter Creek & Southern Railroad. In 1907 had a 15 mile logging railroad with 4 additional miles contemplated of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge, 3 locomotives and a mill of 50,000 feet capacity. In 1910 the logging railroad shows as 14 miles with 2 locomotives. In 1912 they had 12 miles of logging railroad.

 

Overstreet Crate Co. - Lockhart (Orange)

Succeeded Warnell Co.) In 1910 had a 4’ 8 1/2” gauge logging railroad 8 miles in length with 2 miles more under construction. They had 2 locomotives and a 30,000 foot capacity mill. In 1912 they had 16 miles of logging railroad with a 40,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Pace Lumber Co. - Pace (Santa Rosa)

In 1924 and 1928 had a logging railroad and a mill with 75,000 foot capacity.

 

Palatka Lumber and Manufacturing Company - Palatka (Putnam)

Incorporated February 25, 1889. Operated tram roads in connection with its sawmills.

 

Park Lumber Co. - Dowling Park (Suwannee)

Had a logging railroad in 1917.

 

Parkwood Lumber Co. - Port St. Joe (Calhoun)

Had a logging railroad in 1924 and 1928 and mill of 125,000 foot capacity.

 

Patterson‑McInnis Lumber Company - Gulf Hammock (Levy)

Operated a logging railroad in the area in 1915.

 

Paul & Waymer Lumber Co. - Pauway (Hardee)

In 1910 had an 82 mile logging railroad with 1 locomotive and an 8 mile logging railroad in 1912 with a 25,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Paul, John, Lumber Company.

Operated in Taylor county in 1897 with an extensive logging railroad, exact location not known. Also operated at Watertown, Columbia county, in 1892.

 

Peavy Wilson Lumber Company - Holopaw (Osceola)

Operated a logging railroad and sawmill in the 1920's and 1930's, into the 1950's.

 

Peninsular Cypress Company.

Location unknown but reported to have a logging railroad.

 

Penn Jarratt Lumber Co. - Marianna (Jackson)

Had a 20 mile logging railroad in 1920 with a 40,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Pensacola & Andalusia Railroad - Escambia (Escambia)

In 1889 had a 14 mile logging railroad of 3' gauge and 2 locomotives. The road extended from Molino to Centennial. The line was owned by Skinner & McDavid.

 

Pensacola & Mobile Railroad, (Muscogee Lumber Co.), Pensacola (Escambia)

In 1889 had a 19 mile logging railroad of 4'8 1/2" gauge with 1 locomotive.

 

Pensacola and Mobile Railroad and Manufacturing Company.

In 1909 this company operated 5.25 miles of logging railroad in Escambia county, location not known. In 1910 the operation was taken over by the Southern States Lumber Company.

 

Perdido and Pensacola Bay Canal and Timber Company - Pensacola (Escambia)

Incorporated June 3, 1870. They were authorized to construct canals, railroads, or other means necessary for the transportation of timber from Perdido Bay, near the mouth of Herron or Bridge Creek to Pensacola Bay near the point between Pensacola and the Navy Yard.

 

Perdido Bay Lumber Company - Perdido Bay (Escambia)

Incorporated May 14, 1874 with authority to operate a sawmill and construct logging railroads in the area.

 

Perdido Lumber Co. - Milview (Escambia)

In 1917 had a 12 mile logging railroad with 16,000 foot capacity mill. Had a 3 mile logging railroad in 1924 and 1928.

 

Perkins, W. L., & Co. - Jennings (Hamilton)

In 1907 had a 15 mile logging railroad with 2 locomotives and a 30,000 foot capacity mill. In   1910 the rail mileage had increased to 18 with 5 more miles under construction.

 

Peterson McNeil Co. - Trilby (Pasco)

In 1907 had an 11 mile logging railroad of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge with 2 locomotives and a 30,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Phillips & McEachin - Meredith (Levy)

In 1907 had an 8 mile logging railroad with 6 miles additional contemplated of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge with a locomotive and a mill of 35,000 feet capacity. In 1910 they had 10 miles of railroad with 2 locomotives.

 

Phillips, P. D., & Sons - Carrabelle (Franklin)

In 1924 and 1928 had a logging railroad and mill of 30,000 feet capacity.

 

Pierce and Torrey Lumber Company - Orlando (Orange)

Incorporated February 7, 1889 and operated sawmills and logging railroads in the area.

 

Polk County Lumber Co. - Haines City (Polk)

Had a logging railroad in 1917.

 

Polley, E. A. - Belleville (Hamilton)

Operated a logging railroad and sawmill in 1901.

 

Putnam Lumber Co. - Jacksonville (Duval)

Operated a mill at Shamrock in 1900. In 1920, 1924 and 1928 had a logging railroad and mill of 200,000 feet capacity, with 10 locomotives. The

Jacksonville operation was started in 1919, by taking over the Cummer mill. The operation at Shamrock was started by Brooks Scanlon. They also had an operation at Glenwood.

 

Rambo Lumber Co. - Campbellton (Jackson)

Had a logging railroad in 1924 and 1928 with mill of 35,000 feet capacity.

 

Ravenel‑Gabbett Lumber Co. - White Springs (Hamilton)

In 1917 had a 4‑1 mile logging railroad.

 

Ray‑Cox Lumber Co., Sumatra (Franklin)

Operated a sawmill and logging railroad in the 1930's with 2 locomotives.

 

Rentz, E. P., Lumber Co. - Silver Springs (Marion)

In 1907, 1910 and 1912 had a logging railroad 15 miles long with a 60,000 foot capacity mill. Had a 5 mile road in 1917. Owned and operated the Ocala Northern Railroad.

 

Fort McCoy (Marion)

Had a 10 mile logging railroad in 1912 with a 75,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Rigell Lumber Co. - Milligan (Okaloosa)

Had a 16 mile logging railroad in 1920 with 60,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Rio Lumber Company - Stuart (St.Lucie)

Operated sawmills and logging railroads in the vicinity of Rio and Stuart in the early 1930's.

 

Ritter Self Fastening Containers Company. – (St. Johns)

Chartered in 1919 to operate among other things tram and logging roads in the Hastings area.

 

Rivers, R. J. - Ocala (Marion)

This company operated sawmills and logging railroads at Ray and Ocala in the early 1900's.

 

Robinson, Geo. W - Millview (Escambia)

In 1889 had a 10 mile logging railroad of 3' gauge with 1 locomotive.

 

Robinson Improvement Co. - Jacksonville (Duval)

Operated the Needmore Southern Railroad. In 1907 had a 10 mile logging railroad with 5 miles‑contemplated with 1 locomotive and a mill with 10,000 foot capacity. In 1910 they had a 4’ 8 1/2” gauge railroad 5 miles long with 22 additional miles under construction with 2 locomotives. In 1912 logging railroad had been reduced to 5 miles and a 15,000 foot capacity mill.

[On the B&H RR in Pasco County D.H.]

 

Robinson Point Lumber Company - Robinson Point (Santa Rosa)

Incorporated May 9, 1899 and operated a tram road in the Milton area.

 

Rock Creek Lumber Co. - Hampton Springs (Taylor)

Had a 15 mile logging railroad in 1917.

 

Rodman Lumber Co. - Rodman (Putnam)

In 1907 had a 30 mile logging railroad with 5 locomotives and a 100,000 foot capacity mill, the same reported for 1910. In 1912, 1917 and 1920 show a 35 mile logging railroad.

 

Roess Lumber Co. - Martin (Marion).

In 1910 had a 4 1/2 mile logging railroad with an 18,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Roux‑Askew Lumber Co. - Alsace (Hillsborough)

In 1924 and 1928 had a logging railroad and mill with 60,000 feet capacity.

 

Roux Crate and Lumber Company - Bartow (Polk)

Company organized in 1839 and had two mills at Fernandina between 1839 and 1900. Operated sawmills and logging railroads at Bartow and Arcadia in the 1930's.

[Also at Plant City. D.H.]

 

Russ & McCaskill - Barrineau Park (Escambia)

In 1920 had a logging railroad and mill of 20,000 feet capacity.

 

Russ Lumber Co. - Brownville (DeSoto)

Company started in 1917 as Z.Russ with 12 miles of logging railroad. Had a 30,000 foot capacity mill in 1920. In 1924 and 1928 had a 15 mile logging railroad and a 45, 000 foot capacity mill.

[Later moved to Arcadia. D.H.]

 

St. Andrews Bay Lumber Co. - Bay Harbor (Bay)

In 1920, 1924 and 1928 had a 30 mile logging railroad and 85,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Fountain (Bay)

In 1920 had a 20 mile logging railroad and a 100,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Millville (Bay)

In 1920, 1924 and 1928 had a logging railroad and a 120,000 foot capacity mill. Took over American Lumber Co. in 1919, which was the former German American Lumber Co.

 

St. Joe Lumber and Export Company - Port St. Joe (Bay)

The company operated a sawmill and logging railroad in the 1940's.

 

St. Johns Logging Company - Jacksonville (Duval)

Incorporated April 23, 1882. Operated tram roads in connection with its logging operations in Putnam, St. Johns and Volusia counties.

 

Sale Davis Co. - Anderson (Washington)

In 1907 they had a logging railroad of 5' gauge, 1 locomotive and a mill of 75,000 feet capacity. In 1925 the company built a rail line from Southport to a connection with the Birmingham, Columbus and St. Andrews Railroad. The BC&St.A was to take over the company and build a line from the connection to Graceville, thence to Hartford and Enterprise, Ala. There was also to be a connection from Southport to Lynn Haven, St. Andrews and Panama City. None of these lines were ever built.

 

Sanderson and Lake Butler Railway

This company was incorporated September 27, 1879 and proposed logging railroads from Sanderson to points in Duval, Baker, Nassau, Bradford, Clay and Putnam counties. The company was also known as the Sanderson & Lake Butler Railroad and Timber Company which name was later changed to the Florida Lumber Company.

 

Sanford Lumber Company - Westville (Walton)

In the early 1900's built a logging railroad between Westville and Darlington.

 

Saxton and Great Eastern Railroad. – (Bradford)

This was a logging railroad 18 miles long operated in connection with the sawmill at Saxton of Starke Lumber Company in 1912.

 

Scotch Manufacturing Co. - Milligan (Santa Rosa)

In 1907 they had a 2 mile logging railroad, 1 locomotive and a 25,000 foot capacity mill, the same in 1910. In 1912 they had 3 miles and a 30,000 foot capacity mill; in 1917 16 miles of logging railroad.

 

Scotland Mills - Middleburg (Clay)

In 1907 they had a logging railroad, reported as 8 miles in 1910.

 

Scott, T. T. - Kenansville (Osceola)

In 1928 they had a logging railroad and a 50,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Seminole Cypress Co. - Harney (Hillsborough)

In 1910 they had a 4’ 8 1/2”gauge logging railroad 12 miles long with 2 miles under construction. They had 2 locomotives and a 20,000 foot capacity mill. In 1912 they had an 8 mile logging railroad, with a 40,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Seminole Railroad. – (Escambia)

This was a narrow gauge logging railroad that was operated in connection with the Southern States Lumber Company's operation at Pensacola. By 1907 the road had been abandoned and the rails taken up.

 

Seminole Saw Mill Co. - Leonton (Jefferson)

In 1910 this company had a 4’ 8 1/2” gauge logging railroad of 5 miles, 1 locomotive and a 25,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Sessors Whitted Co. - Bonifay (Holmes)

In 1910 had a 4’ 8 1/2” gauge logging railroad 8 miles long with 10 additional miles under construction. They had 2 locomotives and a mill of 35,000 feet capacity.

 

Sherman‑Spann Lumber Co. - Fountain (Bay)

In 1917 they had an 18 mile logging railroad.

 

Sinclair Lumber Co. - Madison (Madison)

In 1910 and 1912 they had a logging railroad, with a mill of 25,000 foot capacity increased to 30,000 feet in 1912.

 

Singletary, J. K. - Campbell (Osceola)

In 1917 and 1920 they had a 7 mile logging railroad and a mill of 25,000 feet capacity.

 

Smith, J. W. - Bucnanan (DeSoto)

In 1917 and 1920 they had a 32 mile logging railroad and a 20,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Smith, W. T., Sons Timber Company.

Claimed to have a logging railroad but no information available.

 

Southern Hardwood Manufacturing Co. – Clio (Liberty)

In 1912 they had a logging railroad.

 

Vilas (Liberty)

In 1912 they had a 13 mile logging railroad and a 40,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Southern Lumber & Supply Co. - Tampa (Hillsborough)

In 1917 they had a logging railroad.

 

Southern Pine Lumber Co. - Citra (Marion)

In 1907 they had a 62 mile logging railroad of 4'8" gauge with 1 locomotive and a 30,000 foot capacity mill. In 1912 they had a 7 mile logging railroad with 10 additional miles planned, with 10 additional miles contemplated.

 

Southern States Lumber Co. - Millview (Escambia)

Operated Seminole Railroad. In 1906 the company operated about 98 miles of logging railroad in Escambia county and neighboring counties in Alabama. It was a successor to the Pensacola and Mobile Railroad and Manufacturing Company. In 1907 they had a logging railroad and a 90,000 foot capacity mill. The narrow gauge Seminole Railroad was abandoned in 1907 and the tracks removed.

 

Muscogee (Escambia)

In 1907 they had a 68 mile logging railroad of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge with 6 locomotives and a 90,000 foot capacity mill. In 1910 they had 88 miles of road, 7 locomotives a d a 150,000 foot capacity mill. In 1911 the line from Cantonment to Local, Ala., was sold to the Gulf, Florida and Alabama Railroad as well as a line from the intersection with the Cantonment Branch, to Pensacola, 18 miles. In 1913 tracks were extended to Walnut Hill and in 1914 to the area west of Brushy Creek. In 1917, 1920, 1924 and 1928 the rail line was down to 40 miles and the mill capacity increased to 180,000 feet.

 

Southern Timber and Lumber Company - Jacksonville (Duval)

Incorporated February 15, 1888 and operated sawmills and logging railroads, exact locations unknown.

 

Southport Lumber Co. - Southport (Bay)

In 1912 they had a 54 mile logging railroad and a 100,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Squier, O. T. - Omega (Lafayette)

In 1907 they had a 10 mile logging railroad with 5 additional miles contemplated of 3' gauge with 2 locomotives and a 35,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Standard Crate Co. - Gainesville (Alachua)

In 1917 they had a 3 mile logging railroad.

 

Standard Lumber Co. - Alton (Lafayette)

In 1912 they had a 30 mile logging railroad and a mill of 165,000 feet capacity. In 1917, 1920, 1924 and 1928 the mileage shows as 70 miles.

 

Hampton Springs (Taylor)

In 1920 they had a 15 mile logging railroad and mill of 55,000 feet capacity.

 

Dowling Park (Suwannee)

In 1920 they had a logging railroad and mill of 80,000 feet capacity, as result of taking over of the Dowling Lumber Co. in 1910.

 

Sears (Hendry)

Operated a sawmill and logging railroad in the 1930's, discontinued in 1936.

 

Live Oak (Suwannee)

Operated a saw mill and logging railroad, also company headquarters. Took over Dowling Lumber Co. in 1910.

 

Starke and New River Railroad.

This was a logging railroad in Bradford county built in 1910, exact location not known.

 

Starke Lumber Co. – Saxton (Bradford)

Operated Saxton & Great Eastern Railroad. In 1912 had an 13 mile logging railroad and a 35,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Stearns and Culver Lumber - Bagdad (Santa Rosa)

Operated Florida & Alabama Railroad. In 1907 had a 30 mile logging railroad of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge with 3 locomotives and a mill capacity of 100,000 feet, same information for 1910. In 1912 the mileage was down to 25, with a 300,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Svea (Okaloosa)

Operated a logging railroad in Okaloosa and Walton counties running southeast from Svea for about 8 miles.

 

Strickland Lumber Co. - Kathleen (Polk)

In 1907 they had a 15 mile logging railroad and in 1910 had a 5 mile logging railroad with an additional mile under construction and 10 additional miles contemplated.. They had 2 locomotives. In 1912 they had a 10 mile logging railroad with a 50,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Summer Cypress Co. - Sumner (Levy)

In 1920 they had a 20 mile logging railroad and mill of 60,000 feet capacity.

 

Sumner Lumber Co. – Zuber (Marion)

In 1912 they had a 12 mile logging railroad and a 35,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Suwannee Cypress Co. - Jasper (Hamilton)

In 1920 they had a logging railroad and mill of 40,000 feet capacity.

 

Tallahassee Saw Mill Co. - Delph (Jefferson)

In 1907 had a 20 mile logging railroad, 1 locomotive and a 35,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Vereen (Wakulla)

Operated Natural Bridge Railroad. In 1907 had a 12 mile logging railroad of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge with 2 locomotives and a 35,000 foot capacity mill, with the same reported in 1910.

 

Fanlew (Jefferson)

Operated a logging railroad of 15 miles with 3 locomotives and a 35,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Tampa‑Havana Lumber Co. - Terrell (Hernando)

In 1907 operated a 17 mile logging railroad with 1 locomotive and a 40,000 foot capacity mill. In 1910 they had 2 locomotives and a 50,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Taylor County Lumber Co. - Springdale (Taylor)

In 1917, 1920 and 1924 operated a 15 mile logging railroad and a mill of 125,000 feet capacity.

 

Tidewater Cypress Co. - Dunnellon (Marion)

In 1920 operated a logging railroad and a mill of 40,000 feet capacity.

 

Tidewater (Levy)

In 1924 and 1928 operated a logging railroad and mill of 40,00 foot capacity..

 

Tilghman Cypress Co. - Palatka (Putnam)

In 1907 operated a 4 mile logging railroad of 4'8" gauge with 2 locomotives and a mill of 30,000 feet capacity. In 1912 the logging railroad was of 12 miles length and was still in operation in 1917.

 

Lukens (Levy)

In 1910 had a 4’ 8 1/2”gauge logging railroad of 7 miles with an additional 2 under construction and 3 more contemplated. They had 3 locomotives and a 30,000 foot capacity mill. In 1912 operated a 16 mile logging railroad with a 50,000 foot capacity mill. IN 1914 the logging road extended to the Suwannee River, a distance of 22 miles. The mill was discontinued in 1918.

 

Tilghman, N. J., & Sons - Palatka (Putnam)

In 1912 this company operated a 1 mile logging railroad and a 60,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Titusville Lumber Co. - Titusville (Brevard)

In 1910 they operated a 4’ 8 1/2” gauge logging railroad of 6 miles with 1 locomotive and a 40,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Tropical Lumber Co. - Chiefland (Levy)

In 1920, 1924 and 1928 operated a logging railroad and mill of 30,000 feet capacity.

 

Tyler Lumber Co. - Tyler (Alachua)

In 1907 operated a 7 mile logging railroad with 5 miles contemplated of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge with 2 locomotives and a 40,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Union Cypress Co. - Hopkins (Brevard)

Chartered December 4, 1911. In 1917 operated a 25 mile logging railroad with a 40,000 foot capacity mill. They also operated a logging railroad in 1920, 1924 and 1928.

 

Upchurch Lumber Co. - Jacksonville (Duval)

Also operated Deep Creek Railroad. In 1910 had a 4’ 8 1/2” gauge logging railroad of 25 miles with 5 more under construction with 3 locomotives and a 100,000 foot capacity mill. In 1912 they operated a 30 mile logging railroad with an 80,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Varn Turpentine and Lumber Company - Brooksville (Hernando)

Chartered January 2, 1906 and operated tram roads in the Brooksville area.

 

Volco Cypress Company - Volco (Volusia)

In 1924 and 1928 had a sawmill of 40,000 foot capacity and logging railroad.

 

Volusia County Sawmill - Glenwood (Volusia)

Operated a sawmill and logging railroad, date unknown.

 

Wade and McArthur Lumber Company - Montbrook (Levy)

In 1901 built a logging railroad from Montbrook to the Gulf of Mexico, 25 miles.

 

Wade Lumber Co. - Eugene (Lafayette)

In 1917 and 1920 operated a 5 mile logging railroad with a 30,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Wainright‑King Lumber Co. - Vereen (Wakulla)

In 1907 operated a 1 mile logging railroad with 1 locomotive and a 15,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Crescent City (Flagler)

In 1912 they had a 7 mile logging railroad with a 25,OOO.foot capacity mill..

 

Waldo Lumber Co. - Perry (Taylor)

In 1920 operated a 4 mile logging railroad and a mill of 25,000 foot capacity.

 

Walling, J. D., & Co. - Weirsdale (Marion)

In 1917 operated a 6 mile logging railroad.

 

Warnell Co. - Lockhart (Orange)

Incorporated May 11, 1906. In 1907 operated a 9 mile logging railroad of 3' gauge with 2 locomotives and a 30,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Warnell Lumber and Veneer Company - Plant City (Hillsborough)

Established in 1904 and built 12 miles of logging railroad between Plant City and Welcome.

 

Watertown Northern Railroad - Watertown ( Columbia)

This was the logging railroad of the East Coast Lumber Company and was abandoned in 1936.

 

Watts Lumber Co. - River Junction (Gadsden)

In 1924 operated a logging road and mill of 15,000 feet capacity and in 1928 operated a logging railroad and mill of 50,000 foot capacity.

 

Wauchula Development Co. - Wauchula (DeSoto)

In 1917 and 1920 operated a 16 mile logging railroad with a mill of 25,000 foot capacity.

 

Weaver & Loughridge Lumber Co. - Boyd (Taylor)

In 1910 operated a logging road of 5 miles with a mill of 35,000 feet capacity. In 1912 operated a 5 mile logging railroad and a mill of 75,000 foot capacity. Logging railroads were operated in 1917, 1920, 1924 and 1928.

 

West & Reaves Lumber Mills - Inverness (Citrus)

In 1917 operated a 30 mile logging railroad with mill of 100,000 feet capacity and in 1920 the railroad had been increased to 40 miles.

 

West Bay Naval Stores & Lumber Co. - St. Andrew (Bay)

Incorporated February 1, 1908. In 1917 and 1920 operated a logging railroad and mill of 60,000 feet capacity.

 

West Brothers - Westlake (Hamilton)

Operated Ellaville, Westlake & Jennings Railroad. In 1907 operated a 1 mile logging railroad of 4’ 8 1/2” gauge with 3 locomotives and a 50,000 foot capacity mill. In 1910 the mileage was 25 with 4 more under construction, 3 locomotives and the same capacity mill. In 1912 the mileage had been decreased to 15 and in 1917 to 23 miles, with a 40,000 foot capacity mill.

 

West Brothers and Higdon's Railroad - Deadman’s Bay (Taylor)

In 1890 this company operated a logging railroad of about 8 miles in length in this area.

 

Western Railroad of Florida - Green Cove Springs (Clay)

In 1889 operated a logging railroad of 13 miles of 3' gauge with 1 locomotive.

 

West Yellow Pine Co. - Madison (Madison)

Incorporated June 14, 1906. In 1917 and 1920 operated a 25 mile logging railroad and a mill of 60,000 feet capacity.

 

Whisnant, Frank - River Junction (Gadsden)

In 1917 operated a 4 mile logging railroad.

 

White, V. J. - Dupont (Flagler)

In 1907 operated a logging railroad of 19 miles with 3'6" gauge, 3 locomotives and a 30,000 foot capacity mill; same reported for 1910.

 

William Lee Lumber and Manufacturing Company - Chipley (Jackson)

Operated logging railroads in the Chipley area in the early 1900's.

 

Wilson Cypress Company (Wilson Lumber Company) - Palatka (Putnam)

In 1907, 1910 and 1912 operated a logging railroad of 15 miles with 4 locomotives and an 80,000 foot capacity mill. In 1917,1920 and 1924 the railroad had increased to 20 miles. In 1928 the logging railroad is shown and the mill capacity had been increased to 110,000 feet. Company came into being in 1894 when it took over the Tilghman Wilson Co., established in 1891. In 1903 they had a railroad camp at Sandy Bluff on the Ocklawaha River. In 1906 they operated in logging road at Alco, near Astor. In 1909 the logging camp at Green Cove Springs with its tram road were moved to Stokes Landing. By 1911 they had 20 miles of track connecting with the ACL at Rochelle. In 1915 there was in operation a logging railroad of 20 miles from Dunns Creek to Espanola. In 1918 a logging road was built at Georgetown and from 1920 to 1922 they had a logging operation with tram road at Deep Creek. In 1923 and 1924 they operated a railroad camp at Blackwater Creek in Lake County with a railroad from the St. Johns River to Cassia, about 16 miles. Altogether they operated 10 steam and 2 gas locomotives with 18 miles of main track and 45 miles of spur tracks. Most all of Wilson's operations were discontinued in 1944.

 

Wimauma Cypress Company - Wimauma (Hillsborough)

Had a shingle mill and a 1 mile logging road at Wimauma in 1920.

 

Winston Lumber Company - Winston (Polk)

Built a logging railroad from Winston to Terra Ceia, 16 miles, date unknown. In 1891 taken over by the Winston and Bone Valley Railroad.

 

Wise‑Finlay Lumber Company - Milton (Santa Rosa)

In 1920 had a sawmill of 25,000 foot capacity and a logging railroad.

 

Wood, George E., Lumber Co. - Caryville (Washington)

In 1907 operated a 25 mile logging railroad with 5 additional miles contemplated., 4 locomotives and a mill of 100,000 feet capacity. In 1910 a 20 mile railroad is shown plus 4 miles under construction with 5 locomotives and a 75,000 foot capacity mill. In 1912 the mileage had been reduced to 20, but the mill was back to 100,000 foot capacity. Sold to Brown‑Florida Lumber Company.

 

Yeager & McCaskill - Tallahassee (Leon)

Operated a sawmill and logging railroad in the area around 1900.

 

Yellow River Railroad - Crestview (Okaloosa)

In 1889 operated 10 miles of logging railroad with 1 locomotive. The line became a common carrier and operated from Crestview, Fl. to Florala, Ala., 27 miles with branches to the Yellow River, 4 miles and from Woods to Simpson, 5 miles, in 1901. The company was sold to the Louisville & Nashville Railroad in 1902.

 

Zachary Lumber Co. - Sanford (Seminole)

In 1912 operated an 8 mile logging railroad with a 20,000 foot capacity mill.

 

Zickgraf Lumber Company – Arcola?

The company operated a sawmill and logging railroad in the early 1900's.

 

Content copyrighted by the Florida Railroad Company – All Rights Reserved